Dear Ken,

Yes, we (senior researchers) should help doctoral students, especially on
this list. In helping them, we expose ourselves to the indiginties of
getting caught up in the urgent communities of the Internet. The loss of
symbolic efficiency (Zizek) through massive amounts of stuff being pushed
out and the compounding corruption of the publication process through
predation, means we can get things wrong as we attempt to rescue sense
from nonsense. But we must persist.

Some years ago, when I reviewed recent novels and edited poetry for
newspapers, the challenge was always to find the gold in the dross. Would
my review of a novel end up as a joke? Would I go down in history as the
fool who didnšt spot the great author in their stumbling first efforts?
Equally, would I praise some pumped up twaddle because it looked like it
had been constructed using my preferred techniques?

So, there are different tasks here. I can see uses, for me, in some of
what Terry writes. Equally, I agree that our primary purpose on the list
is PhD design stuff.

Back to the Internet and its mess.

keith

On 19/1/17, 12:25 am, "PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD
studies and related research in Design on behalf of Ken Friedman"
<[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]>