Dear colleagues,

The next seminar in the 2016–17 History of Pre-Modern Medicine seminar series takes place on Tuesday 31 January.

Speaker: Professor Miri Shefer-Mossensohn (Tel-Aviv University)

Early modern Ottoman spaces and sites of medical healing and learning

Abstract:

This lecture analyses the sites and spaces where medical practice and learning took place in the Turkish- and Arabic-speaking Middle East in the early modern period. We will move from hospitals and schools to markets, from palaces to private homes. Working against the narrative of heroic medicine, great physicians, or splendid medical institutions, I will stress humble successes (coupled with failures and misunderstandings) that portray considerable curiosity and vibrant activity. More importantly, this is a story of popularisation of medical knowledge and practice that supported the Ottoman medical system until the 19th century, and of the advent of modernisation and westernisation.

Location:

Wellcome Library, 183 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.

Doors open at 6pm, seminar will start at 6.15pm.

More details:

http://blog.wellcomelibrary.org/2017/01/early-modern-ottoman-spaces-and-sites-of-medical-healing-and-learning/

With best wishes,

Ross

Ross MacFarlane

Research Engagement Officer

Wellcome Library

T +44 (0)20 7611 7340

F +44 (0)20 7611 8369

@wellcomelibrary

Wellcome Trust

215 Euston Road

London NW1 2BE, UK

www.wellcomelibrary.org

Wellcome Library is part of Wellcome

Wellcome exists to improve health for everyone by helping great ideas to thrive. We're a global charitable foundation, both politically and financially independent. We support scientists and researchers, take on big problems, fuel imaginations and spark debate.

The Wellcome Trust is a charity registered in England and Wales, no. 210183. Its sole trustee is The Wellcome Trust Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, no. 2711000 (whose registered office is at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK)

This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Email Security