Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2017 19:04:29
This message was forwarded through MEDSOCNEWS.
If you wish to make an announcement or publicise
an event then please send the text to:
You can follow us on twitter @MedSocNews

​​​​​​​​​​Dear colleagues,

I would like to invite you to an alternative conference series we are
putting together, called ‘Building Bridges’. Please find below our Call for
Papers and information about us. Please note that with your registration,
you will also be invited to submit a full paper, which will be considered
for* publication *in an edited book published by* Cambridge Scholars.*

We look forward to receiving your abstracts and welcoming you in Crete.

Warmly,
Stavroula & The Building Bridges Community

*Building Bridges in a Complex World Interdisciplinary Conference*
*6-8 July, Chania, Crete, Greece*

* A RADICALLY DIFFERENT KIND OF CONFERENCE *
We are a network of academics and practitioners motivated by our work
experiences inside and outside of Europe. With this being the first
conference, we are hoping to turn this into an annual gathering to build
bridges on three different levels: between theorists and practitioners,
between people from different disciplines and between people from different
parts of the world.

Our conference is about creating new bonds in an intellectually challenging
but convivial environment irrespective of status and titles. It offers a
unique format of intimate discussion groups where everyone attending has
the opportunity to be part of the conversations.

*CALL FOR PAPERS *
At the beginning of the 21st century, the world is facing challenges that
are interconnected, including wars, terrorism, (forced) migrations, global
inequalities and asymmetries, climate change etc.
The fundamental constraints to an equitable standard of living for everyone
are neither a shortage of resources nor a lack of technological
innovations. The main impediments are a lack of political will to reform a
global institutional order that produces foreseeable yet avoidable power
asymmetries. Whereas on our side, it is potentially experiences of
disempowerment and/or the lack of solidarity, which influence our abilities
to imagine a just world and to dare enough to play the role of
change-makers.
This is an interdisciplinary, inquiry-driven gathering with the main focus
on bringing people together to share ideas in a convivial environment. We
hope to explore what kind of alternative questions, concepts, methods and
practices are necessary to address these complex challenges of our time.
It is in this spirit that we invite contributions from practitioners and
researchers to share your insights, practices and experiences relating to
programmes, policies and studies that address issues of social (in)justice
and (in)equality locally and internationally. Possible topics could address
one of the following thematic areas:
*Violence, Conflict & Resistance*

   - Terrorism & Prevention
   - Wars & Conflict
   - Gangs & Other Forms of Extreme Violence
   - Youth Crime
   - Gender Based Violence
   - Hate Crimes Against LGBT Community Members
   - Racism & Discrimination
   - (Forced) Migration
   - Trauma & Resilience
   - Reconciliation
   - Social Movements
   - Collective Action
   - Political Imagination

*Global Justice, Well-being & Sustainability*

   - Environment, Sustainability & Development
   - Urbanisation
   - Capitalism & Global Politics
   - Poverty & Social Inequalities
   - Work & Working Conditions
   - Health, Equity & Governance
   - Demographic Changes
   - Education (System)
   - Media
   - Science & Technology

*CALL FOR PAPERS*
<http://buildingbridges.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=17ecf106d5b6840e9817cd442&id=5174389989&e=e1ad8f3243>
*PUBLISH*
<http://buildingbridges.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=17ecf106d5b6840e9817cd442&id=a625686740&e=e1ad8f3243>
Find out more about us:
*www.buildingbridges.uk.com *
<http://buildingbridges.us14.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=17ecf106d5b6840e9817cd442&id=4706471dfa&e=e1ad8f3243>

​​Jantine Wignand
Research assistant
University College Roosevelt (UCR)
P.O. Box 94
NL-4330 AB Middelburg

1. For general enquires or problems with the list or to CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS send a message to:
2. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example,
send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set medsocnews nomail
3. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
set medsocnews mail
4. To leave MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
leave medsocnews
5. To join or subscribe to MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
SUBSCRIBE medsocnews firstname lastname
6. Further information about the medsocnews discussion list (including
list archive and how to subscribe to or leave the list) can be found
at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medsocnews.html