OUT NOW:

UTOPIA

by Thomas More

with Ursula K. Le Guin and China Mieville

“We can’t do without this book. We are all and have always been Thomas
More’s children.” – China Mieville

https://www.versobooks.com/books/2250-utopia

---------------

Five-hundred-year anniversary edition of More’s Utopia, with writing from
major science fiction writers

Five hundred years since its first publication, Thomas More’s Utopia
remains astonishingly radical and provocative. More imagines an island
nation where thousands live in peace and harmony, men and women are both
educated, and property is communal. In a text hovering between fantasy,
satire, blueprint and game, More explores the theories and realities behind
war, political conflicts, social tensions and redistribution, and imagines
the day-to-day lives of a citizenry living free from fear, oppression,
violence and suffering.

But there has always been a shadow at the heart of Utopia. If this is a
depiction of the perfect state, why, as well as wonder, does it provoke a
growing unease?

In this quincentenary edition, published in conjunction with Somerset
House, More’s text is introduced by multi-award-winning author China
Mieville and accompanied by four essays from Ursula K. Le Guin, today’s
most distinguished utopian writer and thinker.

---------------

LONDON EVENT:

January 12, 2017

Screening Room, South Wing, Somerset House

Imagining the Perfect World: Utopias in Cities and Fiction

To celebrate the quincentenary edition of More's Utopia, published by Verso
and Somerset House, Matt Beaumont and Gillian Darley explore how
Utopia continues
to inspire, and how utopia informs our visions of urban space and fictive
possibilities.

---------------

“We can’t do without this book. We are all and have always been Thomas
More’s children.”

– China Mieville

“I am offered the Grand Inquisitor’s choice. Will you choose freedom
without happiness, or happiness without freedom? The only answer one can
make, I think, is: No.”

– Ursula K. Le Guin

---------------

PAPERBACK:  October 2016 / 224 PAGES / ISBN 9781784787608 / $14.95 / £8.99
/ $19.50 (CAN)

AVAILABLE AS AN E-BOOK

https://www.versobooks.com/books/2250-utopia

For more information on university inspection/desk copies visit:
http://www.versobooks.com/pg/desk-copies

Visit Verso's website for information on our upcoming events, new reviews
and publications and special offers: http://www.versobooks.com

Sign up for the Verso mailing list:

https://www.versobooks.com/users/sign_up

Follow us online: