Or any suggestions of where I can look for it, of course!

Thanks,

Maria

From: UK medical / health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of SIMOES, Maria (LEEDS COMMUNITY HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST)
Sent: 24 January 2017 11:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Demand and capacity planning principle query

--- This message was sent from an email address external to NHSmail but gives the appearance of being from an NHSmail address. Verify the sender and content is legitimate before acting upon information contained within. ---

Dear All,

I am hoping someone can help us with a user query our service is trying to answer.

This is the original question posed to us by a Trust staff member:

“There is a lot of noise at the minute about capacity and demand planning in the Trust and in the NHS more widely (particularly NHS England). One of the core principles of capacity and demand planning is that you plan to provide for not the average, but the 80% percentile of your demand. For example if your average length of appointment was 30 minutes, you wouldn’t plan your bookings at 30 minutes intervals because half of the time appointments are going to take longer. Instead you would book them at the 80% percentile, for arguments sake let’s say 40 minutes.  That means that 80% of your appointments would take 40 minutes or less and there would be “give” in the system to account for those that take longer.

This principle is being quoted wherever we hear about capacity and demand planning, but I am not clear on exactly where the evidence for this has come from.  Are you able to find this evidence?”

Is anyone aware of any research/evidence backing up the 80th percentile principle? So far I have not been able to find anything.

Thank you,

Maria

Maria José Simões
Assistant Librarian

Library & Information Services

Business Intelligence
Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust

Second Floor, Stockdale House, Headingley Office Park, Victoria Road, Leeds LS6 1PF

Email: [log in to unmask]

Tel: 0113 843 3593

@LCH_Library

www.leedslibraries.nhs.uk - Leeds Libraries for Health website

Resource of the month  Our January Resource of the Month is Behind the Headlines, an unbiased and evidence-based analysis of health stories that make the news.

Thank you for your co-operation.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.nhsdigital.nhs.uk/nhsmail