Hello Bev

We have a pair of security gates that started to play up last year; the engineers reported they would need to be replaced and provided an estimate that was way beyond the next three years’ budget, so I turned them off! For students who ask why the alarm doesn’t sound anymore (obviously frustrated that they can’t trigger it!) I tell them that we have a new system that sends an alert to the computer and records the loss. Four months on, this ‘ghost’ system is still working!

Regards

Charlotte

From: A general library and information science list for news and discussion. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Beverley Burgess
Sent: 25 January 2017 08:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Security systems - anyone operating without one?

Hello there

Is anyone operating their library/LRC without a security system? If so, what impact has this had? Ours is on the blink and I suspect getting it replaced will prove problematic (“do you really need a security system?”). In part, I could agree with this view: I’d like to think our print/DVD stock is so desirable people would steal it, but I suspect it’s not the case!

Thanks in advance of any responses.

Yours, peering through the freezing fog,

Bev Burgess

Learning Resources Centre Manager

Currently reading: A Possible Life by Sebastian Faulks.  What are you reading?

The Isle of Wight College

Medina Way

Newport

Isle of Wight

PO30 5TA

www.iwcollege.ac.uk

P ...  please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.