*Booking now open!*

*"Operational Excellence"7th Collection Development Seminar for Academic
LibrariesWednesday 17th May 2017, Birmingham, The Studio*

*Booking now open here* <http://www.nag.org.uk/2016-event-registration/>

Our theme is Operational Excellence, which is all about tackling
inefficient and wasteful processes in order to deliver effective services,
making the most of our resources in the context of the needs of our
institutions. We are very fortunate to be part of a NAG community where
innovation flourishes and an appetite for sharing experience is very
healthy. A full programme will be available to download soon but we already
have the following details of some of the interesting speakers we have
lined up:

Matt Durant and Ted Spilsbury from the University of the West of England
will be presenting their new approach to PDA, which further reduces
expenditure on unused stock while streamlining Acquisitions processes.
We’ll find out about the implementation of this initiative and how PDA data
is being used in the analysis of user behaviour.

Amjad Husain’s paper focuses on the challenges following a reduction of
staff resource in the Acquisitions Department at the University of Bradford
Library. Many of us will identify with this difficult situation and we’ll
discover how this team have devised innovative ways of dealing with
workload by changing workflows and embracing new technology.

Gavin Phillips from Imperial College London will be speaking about
improving reading list processes using a team-based and iterative approach
known as a Rapid Improvement Exercise. Gavin will talk briefly about the
context and methodology of the project before moving on to the details of
the process improvements made, the ‘continuous improvement’ nature of the
project, and the benefits delivered to the College.

Joe Schulkins and Rachel Schulkins will concentrate on a Chrome plugin,
developed especially for the Acquisitions Department to handle book
requests at the University of Liverpool. The initiative ensures that
adequate and standardized information is always supplied so that the team
can work effectively. We’ll learn about the development of the tool, how
the use of it was embedded into Library teams, and how they plan to develop
it to bring further service benefits to the institution.

Kevin Wilson from Goldsmiths College will be telling us about their
approach to using an increased number of on-demand video streaming
services. This initiative aims to use a blend of different platforms and
purchase models to reduce reliance on physical media and address the
challenges of space restrictions, limited budget, and a changing student
expectation of on-demand streaming resources.

The seminar will also offer an opportunity for delegates to work together
in a breakout session, the details of which will be confirmed at a later
date. We experimented with this in 2016 with two sessions that were well
received and generated some great constructive feedback. You liked the
variety that the breakouts added to proceedings, though more opportunity to
feed back to each other on the day was also requested. Among other
improvements, you identified a need to ensure that all tables have a good
mix of relevant experience as well as the value of having an experienced
facilitator. We are taking this feedback on board as we design the
interactive element for 2017.

Your general feedback indicates that we are doing a good job in ensuring a
varied mix of content relevant to the academic library sector and
presenting it to you in a professional manner. Of course, the opportunity
to get together with our peers from around the country is also extremely
valuable for us all. We will endeavour to retain all of this value while
making improvements based on your feedback and experimenting where we see
potential.

Though aimed primarily at academic libraries we welcome all delegates from
all points in the supply chain who are interested in the content. The
seminar is an excellent opportunity for networking and dialogue between
librarians, vendors, and publishers.

In recognition of the difficulties in the sector, we have *frozen *prices
from 2016 and NAG members also receive a significant discount.  The cost to
NAG members is *£160*+VAT, non-members can attend for £210 + VAT.  As you
can become a NAG Individual Member for just £55, the benefits of membership
are clear, particularly if you're thinking of attending Conference in
November too!  If you are unsure whether your Library is already a NAG
member, just email the office to check.

The venue received good feedback last year so we are returning for 2017.
It is just a short walk from Birmingham New Street Station, and provides
great facilities for the day including WiFi.  We will be using Glisser to
share slides and as an option for questions again so please do bring your
laptops and tablets.

A full programme will soon be available but we currently plan to open
registration at 10:00 with a start time of 10:30 and a finishing time of
16:00 for those needing to plan transport.

The booking form is available here.
<http://www.nag.org.uk/2016-event-registration/>

Opportunities for NAG Members to sponsor elements of the Seminar are
available; more information is available here
<http://www.nag.org.uk/news/2016/12/seminar-sponsorship-a-new-nag-opportunity/>
.
#NAGcd7

Jennie Hillyard, M.A., B.A. (Hons.), MCLIP

Administrator, National Acquisitions Group  www.nag.org.uk

12 -14 King Street

Wakefield

West Yorkshire

WF1 2SQ

@UKLibrariesNAG

Please use email to contact us wherever possible, as we will generally be
able to respond more quickly to this than to a phone message.

However, if you do wish to speak to somebody personally, the numbers are 01924
383010 and 07587 133012