From: Julie Fish
Sent: 04 January 2017 10:10
To: Mark Johnson
Subject: Mental health in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer Communities: Building resilience, Tuesday 28 February 2017, De Montfort University

Dear colleague,

Please circulate through your networks

We are writing to invite you to our third annual #DMUpride conference to be held at De Montfort University. This groundbreaking conference will address mental health and well being which is a growing concern both among LGBT communities across the lifespan and more specifically for young people and students in higher education. We have an exciting line up of speakers who will address mental health among trans and non-binary communities, young people, LGB people’s mental well being from Black and Minority Ethnic communities and a service user’s perspective.

Mental health in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer Communities:
Building resilience
De Montfort University
Tuesday 28 February 2017
All welcome

10.00-4.00pm – registration from 9.30

Venue: Trinity Chapel - 14th century former hospital - The Newarke, Leicester, LE2 7BY
As part of #DMUpride month, we are holding our 3rd annual conference entitled Mental health in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer Communities: Building resilience. This conference will uniquely bring together academic researchers in mental health alongside provider organisations in addition to the perspectives of  people who are users of mental health services. The conference will address mental health among homeless LGBT people, trans people’s wellbeing and mental health among young people. We have a cutting edge programme of speakers and workshops addressing mental health and well-being across the broad range of LGBTQ communities including trans and non-binary people.

Programme
10.00 Professor Julie Fish: Why we need to talk about mental health in LGBTQ communities
10.10   Dr Ruth McNair:  Homelessness and mental health among LGBT communities
10.40 Dr Zowie Davy: Social movements in trans mental health
Coffee break
11.10 Dr Liz McDermott:  Queer Futures: Preventing LGBTQ youth suicide and self-harm
11.40 Adrian Trett: Mind over Matter: "Missing the Education Gap": Leading to a "Life Cycle" of Complications for LGBTQ people

12.10 Screening of LGBT Open Mind video
12.15 Panel Q&A

12.45 Lunch

Workshops
1.45pm – 2.45pm

1.    Zaqia Rehman –Mental health among LGB people from BME communities

2.    Sam Hope - Challenging the binary: Non-binary struggles and opportunities in mental health

3.    Michelle Grimwood – the Youth Chances project
2.45- 3.00pm coffee
3- 3.30pm Plenary feedback

Places are limited, please register by emailing [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Kind regards,

Julie  Fish
Professor Julie Fish
Director, Centre for LGBT Research
Chair in Social Work and Health Inequalities
De Montfort University
Leicester
0116 257 7750