Hello
Hope you all had a relaxing Christmas despite the worrying world situation. It's really refreshing to read some critique on neo-liberalism on this platform. I hope it may become a more acceptable debate in our sector.

I've talked and written about these issues a lot over the past 10 years, making links with museums, culture and communities.
For one of many examples, you might enjoy reading The Sociocratic Museum
https://medium.com/code-words-technology-and-theory-in-the-museum/towards-the-sociocratic-museum-223390e2a00b#.fwsjjyywg

Over the next year, I wonder if we might be be more comfortable naming neoliberalism as the dominant global ideology affecting our work.
See, for a good run down of this: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/15/neoliberalism-ideology-problem-george-monbiot?CMP=fb_gu

We might become more aware of how this is all based on a profound disregard for the living planet, a denial of its critical state, and an occupation of our media & politics to prevent urgent environmental action.
For example, see this analysis
[log in to unmask]">https:[log in to unmask]

We might become more aware of how the 'democratic deficit', said to be a root cause of the failure of the EU in serving people's needs, is less important than an 'ethical deficit'. This ethical deficit includes tolerating inequality, rubbishing ethics as intrusive 'political correctness', rubbishing rights and protections as 'red tape', and seeing self-protecting values as superior to 'bigger-than-self' or transcendent values.

I know many of you may feel this (and Ian's) comment have ventured too much into political territory, and out of culture, but the two have always been closely intertwined, and when politics become extremist and dangerous it's really time to start addressing the power of the imagination and of learning from history.

Best wishes
Bridget McKenzie

By the way, here's an event from the Happy Museum that popped into my inbox today that might give people able to get to Derby a chance to air these issues. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-can-the-cultural-sector-respond-to-the-referendum-tickets-29748594848