Hi Nicole,

I am concerned about this framing of the role of visitor studies as being about ‘evidencing the positive changes we are making’.
For evaluation and visitor studies to be useful, it needs to be open to identifying the range of impacts that take place in museums, galleries and other settings (some of which may be positive or negative).
Only looking in the positive direction undermines the entire exercise, turning it into *advocacy* (i.e., public relations / promotion) while avoiding identifying any negative issues that may be taking place. Not all programmes are effective, and it is very important to identify ‘how' and ‘why’ so they can be improved.

It also worth noting that this kind of promotional approach to impact measurement has undermined faith in the type of evidence presented by cultural institutions to external parties such as government (an issue noted by the Arts and Humanities Research Council’s Cultural Value project).

Best wishes,
Eric

Dr Eric Jensen, Fellow Higher Education Academy
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer), Department of Sociology, University of Warwick
Sociology at the University of Warwick ranked:
The Guardian, Complete University Guide and The Times Good University Guide – 3rd
QS World University Ranking - 23rd