Hello again Anderson,

Thank you for the many explanations you gave me!

It seems that i am being thick headed, and can’t understand a particular point that i would like to clarify before commencing my research.

I am sending you this to your email directly because i will include precise measures that i am using and prefer not to get this publicly!

First i compared the brain scan of patients and control using ICV and age as covariate in TBSS. From that i got some significant brain regions.

So when i do this the below, there are no 2 tests to be circular at least till # 2, is that correct?
There is only the corrected tstat file that i got from TBSS from which i thresholded and then extracted the FA in those areas! So until here it is ok I’m guessing since there is no second statistical test here!

>>> 1- fslmaths tbss_tfce_corrp_tstat1.nii.gz -thr 0.95 -bin sig_results_mask
>>> 2- fslmeants -i all_FA_skeletonised -m sig_results_mask -o sig_FA.txt

Now when i want to correlate with clinical data (# 3) here is when circular analysis might occur! Is that correct?

>>> 3- Got the results and correlated with clinical data.

I want to pose 2 scenarios:

1-
If i have clinical data that is not in anyway linked to FA values until now! lets say behavioural test score. Even though behaviour is of course might be affected by white matter integrity, but this behavioural  test has never been proved to be linked to FA values before, would it be circular to test if it is intact linked?

2-
Ok so what i want to check here is whether the ages of the parents at birth of patients leads to their significant decrease in FA or MD etc..
Until now, there is no confirmation that a correlation exists (In the literature i mean)! Would that be considered circular?

Thank you again and again,

Walid

> [...]
>>
>> It is not correct, however, to run a statistical test using data that is the same or correlated with the data used in an initial statistical test. The results are not valid.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Anderson
>>

>> On 25 January 2017 at 10:27, Walid Yassin <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>> Hello Anderson,
>>
>> Thank you very much for answering all my questions!
>> I had a good look through the forum and this is how I saw that others are extracting their FA values! So are the recommendations: to check which regions in the brain are your significant voxels in and then use those regions from an atlas in fslmeants as mask instead of the significant_fa_mask I used?
>>
>> Though after reading your comment, I really don't want to be double dipping.
>> Is there another way that is more proper/trustworthy?
>>
>> Thank you in advance,
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>

>> Walid
>>
>> On Jan 25, 2017, at 17:47, Anderson M. Winkler <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Walid,
>>>
>>> Please see below:
>>>
>>> On 24 January 2017 at 00:27, Walid Yassin <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>> Dear FSLers,

>>> Also it wasn't forwarded. Please check below.<<<
>>>

>>> I would like to ask you  for a confirmation and some help please!
>>>

>>> I- I did all TBSS steps between 2 groups and got the results:
>>>
>>> tbss_tstat1.nii.gz, tbss_tstat2.nii.gz, tbss_tfce_corrp_tstat1.nii.gz, tbss_tfce_corrp_tstat2.nii.gz, etc..
>>>
>>> I want to check if there is a relationship between the significant areas that resulted and my clinical data so i did:
>>>
>>> 1- fslmaths tbss_tfce_corrp_tstat1.nii.gz -thr 0.95 -bin sig_results_mask
>>> 2- fslmeants -i all_FA_skeletonised -m sig_results_mask -o sig_FA.txt
>>> 3- Got the results and correlated with clinical data.
>>>
>>> Is this OK? Should i have used tbss_tstat1.nii.gz instead of tbss_tfce_corrp_tstat1.nii.gz ?
>>>

>>> This isn't ok I'm afraid. This is what has been known as "voodoo" correlations: it's a circular analysis that shouldn't be used.
>>>

>>> II- I wanted to check which areas are my significant voxels in. So i did:
>>>
>>> 1- atlasquery -a "Juelich Histological Atlas" -m significant_results_mask.nii.gz
>>>
>>> Let’s say these are my only results:
>>>
>>> WM Optic radiation R:16.9093
>>> WM Superior longitudinal fascicle R:2.41935
>>> WM Uncinate fascicle R:0.792453
>>>
>>> Now, if i want to do the same analysis as before, meaning if i want to check significant voxels in the "WM Optic radiation R” ROI only, and correlate those to my clinical data. should i do:
>>>
>>> Get the "WM Optic radiation R” ROI from the atlas. Let’s say i call it optic_rr.nii.gz So it will be:
>>>
>>> 1- fslmaths tbss_tfce_corrp_tstat1.nii.gz -thr 0.95 -bin sig_results_mask
>>> 2- fslmeants -i optic_rr -m sig_results_mask -o sig_FA_oprr.txt