Hi, Anderson,

Thanks so much for your kind message. I asked that question as I am trying to do a network analysis, which is based on basic ROI analysis, perhaps.

In detail, Bijsterbosch, Smith & Bishop. (2015, JOCN) wrote something below (page 1845, link: http://bishoplab.berkeley.edu/Bijsterbosch_et_al_JCognitiveNeuroscience_2015.pdf):

The mean of the two connectivity matrices estimated for “safe” and “shock anticipation” periods was calculated for each participant. A two-tailed one-group t test was performed using the resulting mean connectivity matrix for each participant to determine group-level connectivity between the four ROIs. Results are summarized in Figure 1". In their study, they chose 4 ROIs. I am puzzled how they did that analysis.  In page 1844, the authors did say "Partial correlation with Tikhonov regularization (0.1), as provided by FSLnets (fsl.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/fslwiki/ FSLNets), was used to calculate 4 × 4 connectivity matrices for each participant and for each scan". I did not understand this very well.

I was thinking that they must ONLY have one connectivity matrix, NOT two matrices, as the signal change should be "Shock anticipation" vs. "Safe" (i.e.,. safe is the baseline). Am I correct? One method perhaps is that we  first extract the BOLD signal changes for each ROI, then do the Perason Correlation, using Matlab. Does the FSLnets help? Anyone can advise me how we can use this FSLnets?

The next question is how we can do the two-tailed one-group t test using the resulting mean connectivity matrix for each participant, and determine group-level connectivity? What should be the input for the t-test?

Thank you very much,
Sim Luck