Meta-Analyses  of Statin Therapy for Primary Prevention Do Not Answer Key Questions:  An Empirical Appraisal of 5 Years of Statin Meta-Analyses
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40256-015-0139-y

Although meta-analyses of statins in primary prevention are designed to  provide doctors and patients with better evidence about the risks and  potential benefits of treatment, they may ignore important  patient-centered outcomes and concerns. We examined all meta-analyses of  statins for primary prevention over the last 5 years. We assessed  whether each meta-analysis addressed five key points: whether authors  examined endpoints based on the use of statin therapy, and not  stratified by low-density lipoprotein reduction; whether authors  included only studies of statin versus placebo, and not varying doses or  brands of statin; whether authors considered commonly cited harms;  whether secondary prevention patients were excluded; and, whether  overall mortality was examined. We examined 189 articles to identify 24  meta-analyses of statins that made claims regarding primary prevention.  Six studies (25 %) reported outcomes as a function of reduction in serum  lipid levels rather than treatment received. Seven studies (29 %)  included trials of high-dose versus low-dose statin in their analysis.  Five studies (21 %) did not examine all-cause mortality. The majority of  studies (n = 21, 88 %) failed to  exclude patients with known cardiovascular disease, and 22 (92 %)  studies failed to assess two of three common safety concerns.  Nevertheless, most (n = 20, 83 %)  meta-analyses supported the use of statins in primary prevention. Based  on our findings, we conclude that most recent meta-analyses of statins  for primary prevention do not adequately address the question they seek  to answer.
-un saludo juan gérvas @JuanGrvas

I don’t expect the NNT’s below to be accurate if derived from the Lancet 2005 review – the meta-analysis by the CTT Collaborators reported is on the risk reductions “per mmol/L LDL cholesterol reduction” and not an estimate of statin vs. placebo effects such that the NNT would represent the number needed to treat with statins to have the benefits.

Using evidence more specific to statins vs. placebo for the population of patients with heart disease the NNT results are actually better (lower NNT numbers, larger estimated absolute risk reductions) if you use either of:

Wilt TJ et al. Effectiveness of statin therapy in adults with coronary heart disease. Arch Intern Med 2004 Jul 12;164(13):1427-36 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15249352?dopt=Abstract

Gutierrez J et al. Statin therapy in the prevention of recurrent cardiovascular events: a sex-based meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med 2012 Jun 25;172(12):909-19 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22732744?dopt=Abstract

Brian S. Alper, MD, MSPH, FAAFP

Founder of DynaMed
Vice President of Innovations and Evidence-Based Medicine Development, EBSCO Health
Office: 978-356-6500 x2749 | Cell: 978-804-8719

Mission: Provide the most useful information for healthcare decision-making

"It only takes a pebble to start an avalanche."

Thought for today: Whether positive or negative occurs let’s DEVELOP for the positive http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/184235/dev_images/signature_app/linkedin_sig.png http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/184235/dev_images/signature_app/twitter_sig.png

DMP_Logo_V1