*Meta-Analyses  of Statin Therapy for Primary Prevention Do Not Answer Key
Questions:  An Empirical Appraisal of 5 Years of Statin Meta-Analyses*
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40256-015-0139-y

*Although meta-analyses of statins in primary prevention are designed to
provide doctors and patients with better evidence about the risks and
potential benefits of treatment, they may ignore important
patient-centered outcomes and concerns. We examined all meta-analyses of
statins for primary prevention over the last 5 years. We assessed  whether
each meta-analysis addressed five key points: whether authors  examined
endpoints based on the use of statin therapy, and not  stratified by
low-density lipoprotein reduction; whether authors  included only studies
of statin versus placebo, and not varying doses or  brands of statin;
whether authors considered commonly cited harms;  whether secondary
prevention patients were excluded; and, whether  overall mortality was
examined. We examined 189 articles to identify 24  meta-analyses of statins
that made claims regarding primary prevention.  Six studies (25 %) reported
outcomes as a function of reduction in serum  lipid levels rather than
treatment received. Seven studies (29 %)  included trials of high-dose
versus low-dose statin in their analysis.  Five studies (21 %) did not
examine all-cause mortality. The majority of  studies (n = 21, 88 %) failed
to  exclude patients with known cardiovascular disease, and 22 (92 %)
studies failed to assess two of three common safety concerns.
Nevertheless, most (n = 20, 83 %)  meta-analyses supported the use of
statins in primary prevention. Based  on our findings, we conclude that
most recent meta-analyses of statins  for primary prevention do not
adequately address the question they seek  to answer.*
-un saludo juan gérvas @JuanGrvas