Hello all -

Two different poster styles about *welcoming diversity* are on display in business and restaurants where I live.  Both include disability, but not in appropriate ways.  One poster style welcomes all genders, all races, all religions and "all abilities".   The other one welcomes the same groups but does not "welcome" disabled people.  Instead, it reads, "we respect disabilities."  Apparently, the campaigns designers failed to consult disabled people beforehand.

Do you think we should advocate for inclusion on the posters, but with different language?  If so, what would you want them to say?  (Not "people first" language, please.)  Or, would it be better to request we not be included in such campaigns until their businesses are made ADA-accessible?   Or, not be included at all, period?

A nondisabled colleague and I will be addressing our local business association regarding the posters, and I would appreciate your input about what we might suggest to them as alternative language  as well as whether we wish to be included at all.

Finally, are these types of *diversity* campaigns popping up where you live?
Thank you and cheers,

Beth Omansky

You should never let your fears prevent you from doing what you know is right.
                Aung San Suu Kyi
Beth Omansky, Ph.D.
Portland, OR
USA