Hi there I am an Ed Psych who works very closely with young and older people with ME/CFS. I have not come across this and would like to be in on responses.

I can understand both the need for 'sensitive marking' and also why there is a  need for a set of standard criteria. Initially, I would say that both time spent and the intensity of study/writing can lead to fluctuations in standard throughout any academic piece of work, in addition of course  to work tending to take longer. Also time of year when work needs submitting or when exams are taken needs to be taken into account. This can mean that in the winter days energy is lower (not necessarily in the same way as the non CFS population), and in the summer, at the end of a year's work, as the exhaustion is cumulative.  Below is a definition of brain fog and I am happy to be engaged collaboratively on this if anyone is interested.

So if it helps
BRAIN FOG

Caught in the thickness of brain fog: exploring the cognitive symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome  Frontiers in Physiology 2013
Anthony J Ocon.
Departments of Physiology/Medicine, Center for Hypotension, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY, USA
Edited by: Julian Mark Stewart, New York Medical College, USA
Reviewed by: Kathleen S. Curtis, Oklahoma State University - Center for Health Sciences, USA; Ryo Kitada, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Japan

Causes of “brain fog” and mild cognitive impairment have been investigated. Possible physiological correlates may be due to the effects of chronic orthostatic intolerance (OI) in the form of the Postural Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) and decreases in cerebral blood flow (CBF). In addition, fMRI studies suggest that individuals with CFS may require increased cortical and subcortical brain activation to complete difficult mental tasks. Furthermore, neurocognitive testing in CFS has demonstrated deficits in speed and efficiency of information processing, attention, concentration, and working memory. The cognitive impairments are then perceived as an exaggerated mental fatigue. As a whole, this is experienced by those with CFS as “brain fog” and may be viewed as the interaction of physiological, cognitive, and perceptual factors. Thus, the cognitive symptoms of CFS may be due to altered CBF activation and regulation that are exacerbated by a stressor, such as orthostasis or a difficult mental task, resulting in the decreased ability to readily process information, which is then perceived as fatiguing and experienced as “brain fog.” Future research looks to further explore these interactions, how they produce cognitive impairments, and explain the perception of “brain fog” from a mechanistic standpoint.

Effort and Stamina: People with this constellation of chronic conditions can often appear to be willing to have a go at tasks requiring EFFORT. The WILL is there but the STAMINA is not

Naomi Burgess MsC Ed Psych CPsychol AFBPsS
Educational Psychologist
HCPC PYL 03146
CNHC & AAMET EFT Practitioner 1311035
www.naomiburgess.com

89, Bedford Rd, E.Finchley, London N2 9DB
(0)208 4441594
078 1425 9134