ACASA 2017 PANEL SEEKING PAPERS: CFP DESIGN HISTORIES / PRACTICES IN
AFRICA AND BEYOND [5]

Call for Papers

January 31, 2017

Location:

Accra, Ghana

KERSTIN PINTHER (LUDWIG MAXIMILIANS UNIVERSITY MUNICH) & BARBARA
PLANKENSTEINER (YALE UNIVERSITY)

DESIGN HISTORIES / PRACTICES IN AFRICA AND BEYOND

Design Histories and practices in Africa and its Diaspora are a hitherto
neglected field of research within African art history. This is
surprising given the currently blooming, broadening and diversified
scenes of fashion, textile and product design in African cities - a
development that seems to be closely connected to the (temporary)
(re-)migrations of designers and architects. Being inspired by older
‚traditions‘ and also by forms and techniques of everyday
Gestaltung, extremely prolific and innovative circles have thus emerged
through the exchange with designers and artists working on the
continent. Our aim is incite research and gain insight in this new field
of research.

We ask for contributions which examine design histories and practices in
Africa and its Diaspora under various angels: Presentations could tackle
the interwoven and contested histories between objects from Africa and
the search for new forms in the context of the mainly British Arts and
Crafts Movement, the French Art Deco or the German Werkbund. Papers
shedding light on the importance of design and design practices during
the independence era (Forms of Freedom) are equally welcomed as well as
discussions on the role of technology (fab labs. e.g.) and speculative
and conceptual forms in the context of ‘future making’. We also
encourage contribution which focus on the work and practice of
individual designers as well as on the political and social dimension of
form and design practices.

Design Histories / Practices in Africa and beyond

Design Histories and practices in Africa are a hitherto neglected field
of research within African art history. This is surprising given the
currently blooming and diversified design scenes - a development that is
closely connected to the (temporary) (re-)migrations of designers and
architects. We ask for contributions which examine design practices
under various angels: Presentations could tackle the interwoven and
contested histories between objects from Africa and the search for new
forms in the context of ‘modern arts and crafts movements’. Papers
shedding light on the importance of design during the independence era
are equally welcomed as well as discussions on the role of technology.
We also encourage contributions which focus on the work of individual
designers as well as on the political and social dimension of form.

Contact Info:

Prof. Dr. Kerstin Pinther
Ludwig Maximilians University, Art History
Munich

Dr. Barbara Plankensteiner
Frances & Benjamin Benenson Foundation
Curator of African Art