Interesting!

My reading is that the DPO must report to the highest decision making
authority in the organisation (CEO, Board of Trustees, whatever). I
understand that the Germans wanted the DPO to be able to report to the CEO
in order to ensure that s/he could not deny knowledge of any problems and
could be fully accountable.

This does not mean that the DPO is line managed by the CEO. The DPO can be
matrix managed where for most elements they have whatever line manager they
have, but when it comes to access to the CEO there must be no intermediary
so that there is total access allowing total accountability.

A typical configuration in some organisations is that IG managers are not
line managed by the SIRO but they have a relationship where there is a
monthly or fortnightly meeting and the IG manager acts on the delegated
authority of the SIRO. The IG Manager does not need to go through a chain
to reach the SIRO. This is similar, but the authority is higher (assuming
your CEO is not your SIRO).

Bilal Ghafoor
Information Governance Consultant

Bilal Ghafoor