"I had the impression, I think the text even mentioned it, that the DPOs would work for an external body and have the various organisations as their “clients” and come in to review and recommend even as they were deeply aware of the performance of the organisation."

Articles 37(2) and 37(6) *permit* the DPO to be someone external, but the Regulation and the A29WP guidance certainly don't suggest that is the only, or even the preferred, approach.

Realistically speaking, data controllers and processors are not going to voluntarily submit themselves to some sort of ongoing external audit. If the DPO is outsourced it will be on a normal service contract, with all that that entails and implies.

Jon Baines,
Chair,
nadpo.co.uk