This would be my interpretation of the drafter’s intention too, although it would definitely have helped if it had been worded less ambiguously…

Peter Dinsdale

Information Security Officer (Compliance)

Tel: 0191 208 6950

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Bacon - Grimbaldus
Sent: 12 January 2017 11:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] GDPR Data Protection Officer

The wording in the GDPR: "The data protection officer shall directly report to the highest management level of the controller or the processor." is open to some interpretation.  It might be that in different countries or even different industries "shall directly report to the highest management level" means presenting a report, rather than being a line report to.  In my experience, though, across a broad swathe of UK and European industries, it means line reporting; and I suspect that was the drafter's intention.

And there is sense in that, from the word "direct".  It is hard to imagine senior management being comfortable with an individual several layers below reporting directly to the Board or the Audit & Risk Committee, without them presenting said individual with "instructions regarding the exercise of those tasks".

Does your comment on reporting to the highest level of management come from any guidance that you’ve seen, or is that just your view? I’ve been trying to find clarification on this point since the Regulation was released, and nobody seems to be sure. At least one training course I’ve been on has suggested it does mean line management reporting, rather than just putting in a regular formalised report.

Thanks,
Peter