Apologies for Cross-Posting

Queer(ly) Present: Representing Queer Worlds Through Geographic Inquiry
Annual Meeting of the Canadian Association of Geographers (CAG)
May 29 - June 2, 2017
York University, Toronto, Canada

Session organizers: Dr. Alison Bain (York University) and Rae Rosenberg (York University)

In his book Cruising Utopia: The Then and There of Queer Futurity, Mūnoz (2009) extends an invitation to render reality differently. For Mūnoz, a collective desire for queerness motivates, and is motivated by, a political imagination that rejects the normative value systems and rationalities of the present and aspires to enact new ways of being in the world. This session is inspired by Mūnoz’s temporal theorizations of queerness, his active drawing of the past into a field of possibility in the present, so as to create a different future. We welcome critical reflection on how the social worlds of LGBTQ2S people in the global North and global South are rendered ‘present’ in human geographical scholarship – with what political collective actions, community building initiatives, (mis)representations, public (in)visibility, and counter-cultural expressions. We also extend discussion about the possibilities, constraints, and contradictions of social science methods and methodologies, to variously (re)imagine, (re)narrate, and (re)present provisional, fluid, and diverse LGBTQ2S subjectivities, lives, and geographies.

We welcome self-reflexive considerations of research strategies, power dynamics, and intimacies within geographies of sexualities scholarship and encourage submissions by queer people of colour, Indigenous people, and trans and women-identified people.

If you would like to participate in our session please send titles and a 250 word abstract to Alison Bain ([log in to unmask]) and Rae Rosenberg ([log in to unmask]) by Friday, January 27, 2017.

--
Rae Rosenberg

Ph.D. Candidate | York University
Critical Human Geography