Dear Colleagues,

*Apologies for cross-posting*

We are excited to announce the 8th SIID Postgraduate Research Conference, which will be held in Sheffield (UK) on 2nd - 3rd May 2017. We would be grateful if you could circulate the following email and attached document to your postgraduate students and researchers.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

William M. Russ

On behalf of the Sheffield Institute for International Development (SIID) Postgraduate Conference organising committee

The Age of Sustainability? Opportunities, Challenges and Critiques:

The 8th SIID PGR Conference

The Sheffield Institute for International Development (SIID) would like to announce the call for papers and participation in its 8th Annual Postgraduate Conference which will be held on 2nd-3rd May 2017. The Theme for this year's Conference is “The Age of Sustainability? - Opportunities, Challenges and Critiques". With the Sustainable Development Goals setting the tone for the future of global development, emphasising cross-sectorial sustainability, we invite postgraduate researchers engaging with this issue in any way to submit abstracts by Feb 3rd 2017.

We welcome papers which engage with theoretical, methodological and practical issues of Sustainability through a variety of themes, which include but are not limited to:

Poverty, inequality & injustice

Health & wellbeing

Industry & technology

Peace and conflict

Children & education

Political economy

Digital Innovation & data

Gender & sexuality

Economic growth

Human mobility & security

Governance & Institutions

Humanitarian assistance

Environmental change & management

Urban development

This one and a half-day event is geared at providing a supportive academic atmosphere that will facilitate the sharing of current postgraduate research in areas related to International Development. We are keen to hear both academic and practitioner-based research perspectives. You are invited to submit posters or papers for panels consisting of between 3 and 5 closely related 15-20 minute presentations followed by a discussion. Throughout the conference open forums and networking events will be held. The event will be opened by keynote speaker Paige West, from Columbia University, New York. Refreshments will also be provided.

This year’s conference will award exciting prizes to exceptional participants. The best paper will have an opportunity to be published in international journals International Development Planning Review (IDPR) and Conservation & Society, subject to appropriateness and peer-review process, but supported by SIID staff and journal editors. Up to 10 prizes of £100 each will be awarded to stand out participants who can deliver their paper in an articulate and interesting manner. A number of travel and accommodation bursaries are also available.

How to Participate

Please submit an abstract of 250 words to the organising committee (development-studies@sheffield.ac.uk) with the subject heading ‘SIID Conference Abstract’ by 3rd February 2017. Please state whether you wish to present a poster or paper. Successful applicants will be notified by the end of the month.

Registration will cost £40 per person. This does not include accommodation costs, breakfast or evening meals. Please state whether you wish to apply for either a travel bursary to attend, or an accommodation bursary, or both.