*Dear Colleagues,*Apologies for cross-posting*We are excited to announce
the 8th SIID Postgraduate Research Conference, which will be held in
Sheffield (UK) on 2nd - 3rd May 2017. We would be grateful if you could
circulate the following email and attached document to your postgraduate
students and researchers.Thank you very much.Kind regards,William M. RussOn
behalf of the Sheffield Institute for International Development (SIID)
Postgraduate Conference organising committeeThe Age of Sustainability?
Opportunities, Challenges and Critiques:The 8th SIID PGR ConferenceThe
Sheffield Institute for International Development (SIID) would like to
announce the call for papers and participation in its 8th Annual
Postgraduate Conference which will be held on 2nd-3rd May 2017. The Theme
for this year's Conference is “The Age of Sustainability? - Opportunities,
Challenges and Critiques". With the Sustainable Development Goals setting
the tone for the future of global development, emphasising cross-sectorial
sustainability, we invite postgraduate researchers engaging with this issue
in any way to submit abstracts by Feb 3rd 2017.We welcome papers which
engage with theoretical, methodological and practical issues of
Sustainability through a variety of themes, which include but are not
limited to:Poverty, inequality & injusticeHealth & wellbeingIndustry &
technologyPeace and conflictChildren & educationPolitical economyDigital
Innovation & dataGender & sexualityEconomic growthHuman mobility &
securityGovernance & InstitutionsHumanitarian assistanceEnvironmental
change & managementUrban developmentThis one and a half-day event is geared
at providing a supportive academic atmosphere that will facilitate the
sharing of current postgraduate research in areas related to International
Development. We are keen to hear both academic and practitioner-based
research perspectives. You are invited to submit posters or papers for
panels consisting of between 3 and 5 closely related 15-20 minute
presentations followed by a discussion. Throughout the conference open
forums and networking events will be held. The event will be opened by
keynote speaker Paige West, from Columbia University, New York.
Refreshments will also be provided.This year’s conference will award
exciting prizes to exceptional participants. The best paper will have an
opportunity to be published in international journals International
Development Planning Review (IDPR) and Conservation & Society, subject to
appropriateness and peer-review process, but supported by SIID staff and
journal editors. Up to 10 prizes of £100 each will be awarded to stand out
participants who can deliver their paper in an articulate and interesting
manner. A number of travel and accommodation bursaries are also
available.How to ParticipatePlease submit an abstract of 250 words to the
organising committee ([log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>) with the subject heading ‘SIID
Conference Abstract’ by 3rd February 2017. Please state whether you wish to
present a poster or paper. Successful applicants will be notified by the
end of the month.Registration will cost £40 per person. This does not
include accommodation costs, breakfast or evening meals. Please state
whether you wish to apply for either a travel bursary to attend, or an
accommodation bursary, or both. *