Dear IAG’ers/Critters,

Apologies for x-posting.

Please see below a reminder for the call for papers for a special issue on Disruptive Urbanisms by the editors of Urban Policy and Research. This special issue is being led by Prof. Nicole Gurran, University of Sydney.

Regards

Paul

Call for Papers - UPR Editors’ Special Issue

Disruptive Urbanism? Implications of the ‘Sharing Economy’ for
Cities, Regions, and Urban Policy”

The emergence of the “sharing economy” and the “disruptive technologies” that underpin this new movement/paradigm have profound yet largely unexamined implications for urban policy. Advocates of this movement claim that they can ‘solve’ urban problems such as urban congestion and housing affordability and bring about new economic opportunities for individuals and communities, by unleashing spare capacity within existing homes, offices, and transport systems through services such as Airbnb (short term accommodation), Shardesk.net (office space) and Uber (ridesharing).

However, there is growing public concern over health and safety risks to users and the wider community (particularly in relation to ridesharing platforms), as well as impacts on local housing supply and neighbourhood amenity (when permanent homes are converted to online short term accommodation) and even job security. Simultaneously, there is also frustration that outdated laws, policies and regulations, particularly urban planning controls, may inhibit innovative forms of sharing that may yield social, environmental, and economic benefits. Scholarly research on these practices and the ways in which urban policy makers are responding remains very limited.

Addressing this gap, the aim of this special issue is to canvas the ways in which different forms and modes of the “sharing economy” are manifesting in cities and regions throughout the world, the implications of this for urban living, and how policy makers are responding to these changes. To this end, we are interested in contributions which shed light on the following broad themes and topics:

·       different forms of urban “sharing” across food, accommodation, transport, energy, water, finance, or other sectors and their implications for urban form, infrastructure, housing, mobility and urban life.

·        ways in which different social groups participate and/or are overlooked in the “sharing economy” and the benefits and risks for different groups in terms of employment, income and housing security, mobility, and general well-being.

·       how planners and policy makers are responding to different forms of urban sharing and the efficacy or otherwise of these responses;

·       the political and governance dimensions of how different forms of the ‘sharing economy’ should be regulated; and

·       theoretical insights on the relationship between the sharing economy movement and wider processes of globalisation and neoliberalism as they affect cities and urban policy making.

Papers may draw on data for a particular city or case study, use a comparative approach, but in line with the geographical scope and focus of Urban Policy and Research, findings should be generalisable so as to inform urban policy debates in Australasia and more widely.

Paper proposals should include a title, a 250/300 word abstract that highlights the key research issue/question, theoretical and methodological framework, key findings and implication for urban policy. Proposals should also include up to 5 key words, name of all authors plus a short author bio, and full contact details.

Submission date for proposals: January 31, 2017
Submit proposals to: Nicole Gurran [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
(Full papers will be submitted via manuscript central for blind peer review).

The authors of papers selected for inclusion in the special issue will be invited to present draft papers at a special one day symposium to be held at the University of Sydney in June 2017.

Final papers must be submitted by 31 July 2017, and will undergo double blind peer review before being accepted for publication in Urban Policy and Research.

Online publication of the special issue is scheduled for December 2017, with print publication to follow.

Special Issue Editors:          Prof. Nicole Gurran (University of Sydney)
                                                Assoc. Prof. Paul Maginn (U. Western Australia)
                                                Prof. Paul Burton (Griffith University)
                                                Prof. Carey Curtis (Curtin University)