Le Jeudi 5 Janvier 2017 08:56 CET, Tim Gruene <[log in to unmask]> a écrit:

I did not follow all the previous details of this discussion, but I think one may say that the statement "The entropy of molecules arranged in a crystal must be greatly larger than in solution" is incorrect.
Of course, there is an increase of entropy (DeltaS = S(solution) - S(crystal) > 0)  from the ordered crystalline state to the disordered solution state, hence S(crystal) < S(solution).
Te nice thing is that, without knowing anything about the crystallization process, one can also say that DeltaS (per mole) = DeltaH/T, where T is the absolute temperature anf DeltaH > 0 is the heat absorbed by one mole of molecules going from the crystal state to the solution state during the melting of the crystal. Hence, the crystallization process, as with ice formation, produces heat (releases heat in the solution). Would one measure (in a calorimeter) the heat -DeltaH produced during crystallization,  and the number of molecules having formed the crystal, then one would obtain immediately the DeltaS of crystallization.
To be accurate: all of that is correct as far as T is the equilibrium temperature where the two phases coexist and can exchange reversiby (i.e. DeltaG = DeltaH - T DeltaS = 0). For ice melting at atmospheric pressure this would be of course 273.15 K.
Philippe Dumas