Hi!

I am not sure how much this may or may not help, but I used to demonstrate basics of crystallization using peas (well, anything small, regular, and round-ish) on various plates. Depending on your level of involvement you can make some pretty sophisticated experiments including mixing two sizes of 'molecules' to show fractional crystallization and crystal inclusion defects (better if they are same density - ball bearings of two sizes work best in my experience) and nucleation can be demonstrated using a saw-edged piece of cardboard.

If you use irregular objects (like beans rather than peas or if you really like pain then you can dry out some gummy bears and try it with those) you can demonstrate crystallization of proteins quite nicely. A 'nucleant' is almost a must to achieve regular patterns with those.

A bonus factor: this type of demo works very well on many levels, including showing your senior management why crystallization is hard.

Cheers,

Artem
www.harkerbio.com
'We will cheerfully attempt to crystallize whatever you send us. Bring money.'

- Cosmic Cats approve of this message