Hi Claire

No I don't work for adobe, but if you're unsure of what system you may go to in the future, and are working with a limited number of users/images, try using the capabilities built into Adobe Lightroom or Bridge.

Bridge and Lightroom allow the creation of custom templates for metadata input which can be shared between users. These are tick box, thereby eliminating spelling errors.
Metadata standard is XMP so will be compliant with future systems.
The smart collection capability is also useful in that you can create a search criteria within a smart or virtual folder, ie keyword 'marketing' which will populate that virtual folder with all instances that match the criteria.
We have managed to share these folders between users.
https://youtu.be/h6dLFBm7kJQ

My experience other than with dedicated databases like KeMU, which currently is frustrating in it's abilities to show multiple images quickly and in a modern visual way, has been with Bridge.
So Bridge works well locally, slower over networks and if you get into the 10,000s.

Lightroom however stores catalogs of all images that you put through it and of their location regardless of whether you are connected to that location or not.
Lightroom's catalog system should be faster as it stores copies of the thumbnails in the catalog.
You can also reduce the catalog size to speed things up when working with larger numbers of files.

This article http://blog.daminion.net/tips/the-top-6-things-you-cant-do-in-lightroom-and-how-to-do-them/ seems to suggest that using lightroom as your UI, your catalogs  can be shared on a server using http://daminion.net/feature-tour/daminion-server

This solution won't be replacement for a dedicated DAM, but if unsure of where you're heading, it will at least future proof your images and provide you with a way of viewing and organising.

Regards
Michael

Sent from my red apple