We are having big problems using Sunquest ICE together with Winpath  5.32

When we add a comment under a test result, although this displays correctly in Winpath, when it gets to ICE (which is accessed through the Medway PAS system, we only get the first line of the comment, and that in a corrupted form

e.g.

FT4  12\.br\TSH unhelpful in hypopituitarism

Whereas what we should have is

FT4  12
TSH unhelpful in hypopituitarism
Please DO NOT tick Thyroid Function. Request fT4 only.

Sunquest's explanation is

On checking the message we are receiving the follwoing in the HL7 message:

OBX|1|NM|FT4^free T4^WinPath||12\.br\TSH unhelpful in hypopituitarism.

OBX|1|NM|Please DO NOT\.br\tick Thyroid Function. Request fT4 only.

OBX|1|NM|Thank you|pmol/L|5.6 - 21||||F|||||

What we would expect to receive is:

OBX|1|NM|FT4^free T4^WinPath||12|5.6 - 21||||F|||||

OBX|2|ST|FT4^free T4^WinPath||TSH unhelpful in hypopituitarism. Please

OBX|2|ST|DO NOT\.br\tick Thyroid Function. Request fT4 only. Thank

OBX|2|ST|you|pmol/L|5.6 - 21||||F|||||

In the one that we receive, the text is being put in to a numerical (NM) OBX segment, but comments for a test should be received in a String (ST) OBX segment. When received in an OBX|ST segment, the BR will be handled and applicable line breaks inclucded.

Although the impact on the above comment is not majorly significant, in some cases we receive electronic results from a referral lab such as

pE           IGF1 (Somatomedin)                      *             453                         ug/L      73 - 357                 * high
pE                           | Low IGF:- May be consistent with Growth Hormone
pE                           | deficiency or resistance (Laron's Syndrome). Exclude
pE                           | secondary causes such as nutritional deficiencies (e.g.
pE                           | malnutrition or anorexia nervosa), chronic kidney
pE                           | or liver disease and high doses of oestrogen.
pE                           | High IGF:- Consistent with Growth Hormone excess
pE                           | (gigantism or acromegaly).
pE                           | Result from Southampton General Hospital.

This displays on ICE as

IGF1 (SOMATOMEDIN)

IGF1 (Somatomedin)

*

453\.br\Low IGF:- May be consistent with Growth Hormone\.br\deficiency

ug/L

Where the first line of the comment says LOW IGF, whereas in fact the value is HIGH - giving a totally erroneous comment.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how have they solved it?

Michael

________________________________
Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Great Western Hospital Marlborough Road Swindon
SN3 6BB
Tel 01793 60 40 20

http://www.gwh.nhs.uk

Register to become a member of the Trust at https://members.gwh.nhs.uk

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual(s) addressed.
If you believe you have received this e-mail in error, disclosing, copying, distributing or retaining this message, or any part of it, is strictly prohibited; please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
All messages sent by the Trust are checked for viruses but this does not, and cannot, guarantee that a virus has not been transmitted.
The Trust accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted with this e-mail.

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk