Hi David,

the part that I would hope that you would really appreciate is that the agent analysis has this rather interesting effect of including the element of ‘embodiment’ in that it represents the fact that we have evolved to have eyes in the front of our heads. My thesis in the Ikea paper is that the specific from of unintelligibility constructed in the Ikea showroom  is of a lack of correlation between the one form of analysis and the other (an allocentric isotropic [same in all directions] VGA integration, and an egocentric anisotropic [forward facing] EVAS) I suggest that this form of dissonance between a long evolved, embodied and a more abstract form is what some people find so psychologically disruptive in Ikea. I suggest that this is all part of a marketing strategy designed specifically to switch power from the customer to the shop owner and that this is part of a power exchange contract in which the consenting customer is in turn rewarded.

I include the two analyses and the observations, all from Farah Kazim’s Master’s thesis, as a reminder:

VGA integration:

Agent trails:

Farah Kazim’s observations of shoppers in the store: