Valbuena, Olga <[log in to unmask]>
Mon 12/5/2016 12:19 PM
Dear Members of the Southeastern Renaissance Conference:

It is with much sadness that I write to inform you of Allen Carroll's passing on November 28.  As so many of you know, Allen was a long-standing and highly respected member of the SRC. Joining the faculty of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, in 1969, Allen served as department head from 1992-2002, and he ensured that the department played host to several SRC meetings.  Among his other contributions to the field of Renaissance studies, Allen edited the standard edition of Everard Guilpin's poetry and explicated numerous cryptic literary passages and ciphers, even uncovering evidence of disguised authorship.  He is perhaps best known for editing the standard edition of Greene's Groatsworth of Wit, which is routinely cited in scholarship on Shakespeare. On a more personal note, Allen received his undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University, where he taught in the English Department before completing his Ph.D. at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

We are saddened by his loss and will remember him fondly.  Please see his obituary.

Best regards,

Olga Valbuena
President, SRC
Wake Forest University
Department of English

Thomas Herron
Department of English
East Carolina University
(252) 328-6413

Editor, Explorations in Renaissance Culture (published with Brill per 2015. More at www.brill.com/erc)
Writer/Director, Centering Spenser:  A Digital Resource for Kilcolman Castle
http://core.ecu.edu/umc/Munster/