Dear David and Christopher

Thank you for opening up the discussion. These are significant contributions to directing our thoughts toward the human aspect of road transport. The driver is key to any of our endeavors in road transport and is worthy of deep consideration in this regard. Truck driving is hardly a profession that youth aspire to, rather it has become a "job of last resort". What is significant though is that on average a driver in our fleet earns more than a junior manager or administrator in our office.

We operate in an industry that is heavily regulated, and at an operator level we often try to confine the driver's activities to strict schedules and procedures. We often have an almost mechanical expectation of the driver.

One of the change points for us at an operator level has been to provide training of the drivers that offer them deeper understanding of the components of a truck and how they work together in order to improve their understanding of what they do and to try to offer them a more cognitive role. Previously they relied on doing things without knowing why. Each person has a desire to feel as if they have some autonomy in what they do and a sense of purpose. I believe that at a foundational level we need to provide a platform for the driver to build his own self respect through providing meaningful work engagement and feedback on work performance also in a meaningful way. For the driver to be motivated toward optimum performance, we need to motivate him intrinsicly.

Sharing of information around what each operator has done in this regard certainly does help. In one of his workshops, Paul Nordengen showed results from one of the companies on the RTMS path that held a competition for logistics teams within a company where they created safety videos. These kinds of collaborative activities create better teams and not only improve interpersonal dynamics, but boost self esteem as well as elevating how the role of a driver is viewed within the organisation.

I do agree that the way society views a truck driver would benefit significantly through industry association activities, and that these should in some way become priority activities. The question is how do we create actionable projects with measurable outputs around this.With road transport assets becoming increasingly more sophisticated we need to be able to attract drivers who are talented and motivated.

With best regards and warm wishes for a wonderful festive season

Abdool (AK)