Hi,

I'd be keen to hear how science-communicators here are
tackling note-taking: what apps people are using, what
approaches they find helpful, and so on. All suggestions and
advice welcome!

Our usages will reflect the type of material we work on, and
where we draw our material from. In my case, I write mostly
on genetics, genomics and wider topics in biology, taking my
material mostly from online sources and directly from the
research literature. I also cover topical issues such as
GMOs, glyphosate use recommendations, and from time-to-time
other things (in biology) that just seem fun or interesting.

I use an Apple laptop and an iPhone.

I'd like to be able to work off-line if I need or want to,
for example when I am unable to get good internet while
travelling.

One app I see well-regarded is EverNote. Comments on that or
other software would be most welcome.

As I'm new to this list, I thought I should also add a brief
introduction. I'm a scientist with an interest in science
communication. My scientific training is in computational
biology, with about 30 years experience in that area. I
follow in particular gene regulation and genomics, including
medical or diagnostic applications. My writing interests
include those I mentioned earlier, as well more focused
topics like gene editing, epigenetics, examples of genetics
& medical applications, and so on. I’ve been writing
online since before 2009 when I was a founding member of
Sciblogs, New Zealand's largest collective of scientists
writing online. (The format there has changed quite a bit
since I started!) I find my background in computational
biology very useful: I'm used to drawing out the conceptual
elements in a biological 'story'. This forms the basis of
representing the biology well in analytical work; in science
communication is it repurposed to be the concepts readers
might need to understand a story.

I'm hoping to spend some of my time over the next few weeks
writing, and try use this period to move my writing to more
publication-oriented efforts - hence asking after note
taking.

Grant Jacobs

Grant Jacobs                   [log in to unmask]
Dunedin,                              ph. +64 3 473 8857
NEW ZEALAND.        http://sciblogs.co.nz/code-for-life/

psci-com how-to:
Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send reqests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)