I've had this request from a medical researcher (identity withheld):
"[I] work as a Research Analyst in one of the mental hospitals, for the last 6 years.

I have a Science background and have a PhD in biotechnology. I was working for my PI (MD –Psychology) offering my expertise in stem cells.  My PI asked me to help out a PhD student of his,  who had limited/no stem cell culture experience. I ended up completing all the lab work for him as he was already an MD, who received special privileges from my PI. Once the lab work was completed the PhD student did not come to the lab.

After the PhD student stopped coming to the lab, I proposed to my PI to investigate a separate study on stem cells. From literature search to contacting experts in the field, gathering the right material, I did all and completed the work that took about 2 and a half years.

Now I realise my PI has gathered all the information and data from me and allowed the PhD student to include in his thesis.

I did not have the courage to talk about this immediately, but later confronted the PI on this issue.  He was ready with his reasons

1) the PhD student did not have enough data to complete his thesis

2) since I am attached to the mental hospital - where I work, I can’t have ownership of my work, as such anyone can make use of it in the team.

3) it is not a big deal to use a work worth only 2 and a half years

In my mind both of these MDs are going to get away with a typical misconduct of plagiarism.

Kindly, shed light to help me distinguish clearly if this will fall into plagiarism. I am inclined to make a formal complaint to the University where they are affiliated to. "

What would you say, assuming the events are described accurately.

Mike

************************************************************************* You are subscribed to the JISC Plagiarism mailing list. To Unsubscribe, change your subscription options, or access list archives, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/PLAGIARISM.html *************************************************************************