Dear all,

*Apologies for cross posting*

Last chance to get tickets!

The Digital Preservation Coalition and Wellcome Library have come together to bring you the one-day conference:

3D4ever: building three dimensional models to last

Friday 9th December 2016. 09.15-17.00, Wellcome Collection Conference Centre, 183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE

This conference will encourage cultural heritage professionals to understand and undertake 3D scanning and its challenges. Opportunities for creation, use, and re-use of 3D data will be explored and case studies of good practice presented. The day will consist of a programme of presentations, practical workshops and a panel discussion.

Programme

09.15-9.45     TEA AND COFFEE

09.45-09.50     William Kilbride (DPC) / Melanie Grant (Wellcome)    Introduction and welcome

09.50-10.20     Stuart Jeffrey (Glasgow School of Art)            3d data for ever (or till whatever is next)

10.20-10.45     Brief Q&A, orientation

10.45-11.15     William Kilbride (DPC) Why is it so hard to get people to talk about preserving 3d data?

10.45-12.45    Workshops 1-3*

11.15-11.45     Helen Hardy (Natural History Museum)          A new life for natural history specimens

11.45-12.15     Anthony Corns (Discovery Programme)         3D-ICONS Ireland: Experiences of Archiving and Reuse

12.15-12.45     Discussion

12.45-13.30     LUNCH (served in the Williams Lounge)

13.30-14.00     Uwe Helber (T Systems International)            A preservation voice in the technical wilderness

13.30-15.30    Workshops 1-3*

14.00-14.30     Chris Moran (Wellcome):        IPR what we have learned at Wellcome and what we need to learn

14.30-15.00     Case study

15.00-15.30     What is to be done? How to address the gaps in our knowledge (group activity)

15.30-16.00     TEA AND COFFEE

16.00-close (by 17.00)            Plenary (all speakers in roundtable); Closing remarks by William Kilbride (DPC)/ Deborah Leem (Wellcome)

Practical workshops to sign up for on the day.

*Workshop 1 & 2: Photogrammetry

At the end of the workshop the participants will have an understanding of the photogrammetry process using Agisoft Photoscan. They will have watched a demo of the photographic process (using a turntable and light tent) and will leave the workshop with a comprehensive guide outlining the process covered in the workshop.

*Workshop 3: Computer Aided Design and 3D Print Preparation

At the end of the workshop the participants will have learnt the basic principles of creating a 3D Design from scratch. They will also learn how to prepare their design for 3D printing and how manipulate external data for 3D printing. Utilising SpaceClaim software the most intuitive CAD package on the market, participants will be impressed at how quickly they can get to grips with 3D Design.

*Also featuring*

Demonstrations
Helen Green & Matt Arneil: Alchemy VR http://www.alchemyvr.com/
UCL's 3D Box
Trevor King (Zeutschel UK Ltd): ZED 10 presentation system
Cadventure: 3D modelling and printing

Further details and booking information here:

https://wellcomecollection.org/3d4ever

#3D4ever16

Kind regards,

Nicola (on behalf of the organising committee)

Wellcome exists to improve health for everyone by helping great ideas to thrive. We're a global charitable foundation, both politically and financially independent. We support scientists and researchers, take on big problems, fuel imaginations and spark debate.

The Wellcome Trust is a charity registered in England and Wales, no. 210183. Its sole trustee is The Wellcome Trust Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, no. 2711000 (whose registered office is at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK)

This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Email Security - www.websense.com

lis-e-resources is a UKSG list - http://www.uksg.org
Follow us on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/UKSG