I'd say keep FREE ENTRY on your literature to attract more people, then
when they arrive make sure they are greeted by a really obvious (and
aesthetically pleasing) donations box that explains why you need support
and how much you suggest is a fair amount. I'd also make sure that the
'extras' such as cafe, shop etc are good value, because it's those things
(as well as the cost of travel) that can make a 'free' day out really
expensive!

*Pete Brown*
*Museum and gallery access, learning & interpretation*
+44 (0)7811 693870
skype: petebrbrown58
petebrbrown.co.uk