Hi Sandra,

For the "mean effect", use your design A, but remove the 2nd EV.

For the "H1>H2" and "H1<H2", use your design B, but remove the 1st EV.

That's it.

All the best,

Anderson

On 5 December 2016 at 07:43, Thijssen, S. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Anderson,

I noticed my designmatrix shifted, so attached you’ll find another try:

Hi Anderson,

Thank you! I am, however, not sure if I understand you correctly: do I run two separate higher analyses: one as you suggested to test for the mean effect of my first level contrast, and a separate paired samples t-test or do I combine your suggestion with my design into something like this (see attached)

Best,
Sandra

Op 5 dec. 2016, om 08:35 heeft Sandra Thijssen <[log in to unmask]> het volgende geschreven:

A.
1 1 1 0 0
1 1 0 1 0
1 1 0 0 1
1 0 -1 0 0
1 0 0 -1 0
1 0 0 0 -1

mean effect C1: 1 0 0 0 0
H1 > H2 C2:  0 1 0 0 0
H1 < H2 C3: 0 -1 0 0 0

Or B:
1 1 1 0 0
1 1 0 1 0
1 1 0 0 1
1 -1 1 0 0
1 -1 0 1 0
1 -1 0 0 1

mean effect C1: 1 0 0 0 0
H1 > H2 C2: 0 1 0 0 0
H1 < H2 C3: 0 -1 0 0 0

Thanks again!

Sandra

Op 3 dec. 2016, om 10:49 heeft Anderson M. Winkler <[log in to unmask]> het volgende geschreven:

Hi Sandra,

Yes, it's possible, although the design looks different for C1. Something as this:

1       1       0       0
1       0       1       0
1       0       0       1
1      -1       0       0
1       0      -1       0
1       0       0      -1

And the contrast then is:

C1: 1 0 0 0

Your current design is fine for the paired t-test (C2 and C3 in your list), but ideally you'd remove EV2, as that makes the design rank deficient (in reality it won't affect in this case, although this depends on the software implementation than on the maths).

All the best,

Anderson