Hi JF,

Please, see below:

On 16 December 2016 at 15:50, Jean-Francois Cabana <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear FSL experts,
>

> I have a question concerning the design matrix and contrasts for use in
> PALM. Here is a short description of my problem. We are studying a group of
> subjects that are all affected with a particular genetic mutation, and we
> are comparing several MRI metrics to a group of age- and sex-matched
>  healthy controls. Furthermore, the subjects group can be divided into two
> subgroups, because the women are clinically affected differently than men
> (dyslexia and epilepsia respectively). I’d like to compare each of the
> three groups between themselves, but also compare the full subjects group
> (Female+Male) vs control.
>

> When I first started my analysis, I did a simple ROI analysis using a
> two-tailed two-group t-test with additional nuisance variables added to the
> model (age, age², sex, age*sex, age²*sex) to compare healthy control vs all
> subjects with the mutation. I get a set of p-values for this test. Now I
> switch to the 3 groups case where I split the subjects into F and M. Let
> EV1, EV2 and EV3 be the variables representing healthy controls, subjects-F
> and subject-M respectively. I set up my two-tailed contrast matrix as this :
>

> [-2 1  1 0 0 0 0 0; ... % HC vs (F+M)
>
>  -1 1  0 0 0 0 0 0; ... % HC vs F
>
>  -1 0  1 0 0 0 0 0; ... % HC vs M
>
>    0 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0];    % F vs M
>

> Now, my question is regarding to the first contrast here. I would (perhaps
> naively) expect that the first contrast of this 3 groups design would be
> equivalent to the earlier 2 groups design, where F and M were considered as
> a single group. However, the p-values I get appears to be generally higher
> in the 3-groups analysis. Setting p<0.05 as a significance threshold, I
> then get fewer significant results in the 3-groups version.
>

> Here are my questions :
>

> First, does this contrast here make sense for the combination of the F+M
> groups?

Yes.

> Second, how do you interpret the difference in p-values between the two
> designs?

The design that has 3 groups accommodates (discounts) the possibility that
M and F could have different effects and different sample sizes, whereas
the other one, with 2 groups only, doesn't allow for that.

> And finally, would you recommend using the 2-group design to compare the
> full subjects group vs controls, and then the 3-groups design to compare
> all subgroups, or would you rather trust the 3-group design for all
> statistics, including the combination of the F+M groups?

If the two groups had/have the same size and if it were known that M and F
had the same effects, then lumping these two would be fine. However, that
doesn't seem to be the case (e.g., different effects of epilepsy and
dyslexia), so I would suggest keeping these separate.

All the best,

Anderson