I can tell you that many states in the U.S. have general right-to-work laws prohibiting closed shops. That's true here in Texas. For K-12 teachers, labor organizing carries the risk of decertification. The trade associations and unions in education, with a few exceptions in larger school districts where locals have a little sway, are pretty toothless. You send in dues and get a newsletter, maybe a voting guide now and then. I believe this is true for higher ed associations here, too.

For American education workers living in right-to-work states, I'd suggest joining the Industrial Workers of the World (I.W.W.). It's a small group, but it has a history of organizing without the help or approval of the state.

-R.