From: A forum for critical and radical geographers [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Popke, Jeff [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2016 7:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Does Gaiai need some chemo?

All,

Some years ago, at a time when my wife was going through chemotherapy, I was tasked with reading Marcus Doel’s excellent book Poststructuralist Geographies.  Chapter two is titled ‘Lyotard’s Cancerous Geography’ and is described as an attempt to “affirm the ethico-political implications of a certain experience of cancer”.  I recall quite clearly that the chapter was difficult for me to get through, and the suggestion that we should cultivate an “ethic of cancer” felt to me a bit cruel.  But I could appreciate Doel’s erudite and provocative argument (drawing from Lyotard, but also Baudrillard, Deleuze and others) that, as a metaphor for a certain style of thinking, cancer can open us up to an ethos of proliferation, deterritorialization, unexpected mutation, and a certain kind of productive experimentation.  It was my choice to read this chapter, of course, and Marcus did not post about these idea on this form.  But I would not consider such a discussion inappropriate, and nor, I would wager, would most members of this list.

So, is Hillary’s rather less sophisticated use of this metaphor to describe urban growth sufficiently less ‘critical’ so as to be out of bounds?  I do not feel that is for me to say.  Personally, I found the post to be a bit trite, but certainly not “appalling” or “obnoxious” or even especially insensitive (though I do agree with previous posters that the ‘snowflake’ response was unnecessarily snarky).

Count me among those who feel that the way to deal with posts that one may find unproductive is to simply hit delete, and not to request that a list member voluntarily resign from the forum.  This is what I have done for many years with Hillary’s posts.  I probably delete them without opening about half the time.  Occasionally, I will linger over one a bit.  And every once in a while, I find something potentially valuable, such as a time-lapse video of urban growth in Australia.  Those few seconds spent deleting are really a small price to pay for the rare nuggets, and, more importantly, for keeping the forum an open and non-judgmental space of exchange.

Jeff

Jeff Popke

Department of Geography, Planning and Environment

East Carolina University

Greenville, NC 27858​