Please add my name to this Annie.
Thank you for writing the letter.
Jan

From Jan Bostock

On 12 Dec 2016, at 21:14, Annie Mitchell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am thinking of sending this below. . I know a letter is a small thing.. It,s hard to get in and I imagine others may have written along similar lines Anyhow let me know by early tomorrow if anyone wants me want me to add yr name. It may already be too late to be accepted ( and maybe too long)

Dear Editor,
Richard Layard is promoting the idea that better provision of mental health services is more important than reducing social inequalities in promoting human happiness (Happiness depends on health and  friends, not money, says new study, Guardian, Monday 12th December). This is a false dichotomy. Evidence suggests that austerity damages our collective health. Deepening economic and social divides, bullying, abuse, misogyny, racism, dehumanisation and consequent insecurity, trauma, social exclusion, neglect and despair underpin the current tsunami of desolation in the UK and beyond, specially in our children. These are largely economic and political matters, requiring cultural, social and political solutions.  Psychological therapies, humanely delivered to those who want them, have a part to play in ameliorating human suffering, and we do need more flexible, kind and supportive services. But we must not pathologise those who are damaged by the injustices they experience. Degradation by the benefits system is now devastating many with long term illnesses in the UK. To imagine  that therapy, rather than social transformation, can address or prevent the conditions that lead to despair is to be wilfully blind.

Annie Mitchell
Clinical and community psychologist

From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Annie Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 12 December 2016 00:43:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] Layard Strikes Again

yes: . thanks Jay, and David. . as reported in the Guardian, with  Layard's comments  ( and knowing of Layard's  previous work and positioning )  this is damaging  neo-liberal capitalist obscuring of the structural causes of trouble . we need to resist it.

 is there any scope for those who wished to do so  to write to Guardian as  of community psychologists? or would that just be continuing to play the psy-complex game?

can community psychology section speak out?

I'd be happy to help/ sign  if so.  thanks for finding the programme David/ And I gather Layard was on BBC Today programme this morning - I missed it but others may have heard it?  NHS  colleagues here were concerned...  -

Annie