Glad to have another contribution,  as my intention had been rather to open up than foreclose debate.  I valued hearing of  the  work Senator John Lewis. And Seedat et al’s wanting to  restructure psychology. Re    David’s challenge as to how to  demolish the Master’s psy-complex house and rebuilding it without using psy-complex tools -   it’s well nigh impossible to do so just by those  of us who are irrevocably bound up with the psy-complex through our jobs or our pension. We have to find ways to step back while also stepping up to use our powers for good if we can, but always questioning?  …. My own experience of working with citizens outside psychology but in relation to psychology ( or health and social care)  that love is  the thread that is most often found most wanting and most wanted .  I also get, though,   that the road to hell is perhaps paved with good intentions. Or, as wikepedia gives as an alternative "Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works". So great to hear Sally letting us know about the Psychologists against Austerity promotion of work around housing etc and the work being done re the benefits system.

Warm wishes.

Annie

From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Weatherhead, Stephen
Sent: 05 December 2016 09:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] Advancing social justice - Clinical and community psychology

Dear all,

It is interesting how many of the conversations on this email list have become focussed on ‘what is the list for?’. From this I’m taken to a wondering about which aspects of this mini community we would like to see replicated in wider communities? I try to imagine how it might be if the conversations we have in this space were set in much more perilous contexts such as peace negotiations.

I think this has come home for me a bit more when reflecting on the Brexit and Trump discourses around in the Anglo-American colonised media. Many of us are coming to view these two very major events as huge for the whole world. They are. But would we be saying the same if we were caught in other parts of the world where conflict, fear for one’s life, despair and intense pain are already a part of our daily life?

We have the luxury of a relatively free communication source here where we can pretty much say what we want without great fear of reprisal. Certainly we don’t have the fear associated with emails and social media in other parts of the globe. I personally think that brings with it a greater responsibility to be welcoming and open with the spaces we create.

Yes it is ok to ask questions, critique and explore different views. But perhaps we should always have a sense of doing so with an imagining of what the impact would be if this space was one where our words, emails, responses did have more significant consequence than we imagine them to?

I minded of Senator John Lewis and others who speak of the ‘beloved community’ and the importance living in a way we want the world to be. With this in mind, I’d ask how do you feel being part of the community of this email list? Personally I find it quite a scary place at times. Writing this email, part of me feels a fear of the verbal stones I may receive in return. Another part of me feels a responsibility and desire to send it anyway because I have been moved by some of the love offered in this list recently be people like Sarah, Suzanne, Annie, and others who ask difficult and important questions in a way that welcomes walking together in exploring new paths forward, rather than battling over which path to take and who’s been building the best one for the longest time.

In times of struggle I often come back to the words of Rumi and here I am reminded of the poem “a community of the spirit” It’s a painful and beautiful work which essentially asks us to consider ourselves as our community. I wonder what we each of us ourselves would bring to the community created by this email list? And what of this list was actually a conversation where our words have greater ramifications? Perhaps we would feel a greater responsibility to ask questions which heal? I’d hope so.

I make no apologies for not filling this email with psychology references, more and more of late I am finding my solace, answers, care in spaces which are not written by people who call themselves psychologists (clinical or community). So instead I’ll finish with a line from the wonderful Krista Tippet - “We are all healers of the world…It’s not about healing the world by making a huge difference. It’s about healing the world that touches you, that’s around you.”

With love.
Ste