Hi Andrew,

you can define a weak bond between clashing atoms which will disable repulsion. A weak bond should not introduce any bias.

Pavel

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Andrew Marshall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a structure of a condensing enzyme with substrate bound. The active site is very tight, requiring some of the substrate atoms to clash with a catalytic cysteine. This means that although the substrate fits the density nicely upon manual real-space refinement, phenix recognises the clash, resulting in the displacement of substrate atoms so that they are outside the density. I can mostly fix this by using distance restraints, but I'd rather allow it to refine in a less biased manner, but ignore the clash. Is this a acceptable way forward? If so, is there a parameter I can edit to tell phenix to ignore clashes between these specific atoms?

Thanks,

Andrew Marshall
PhD Candidate
Laboratory of Protein Crystallography