Could this be a covalent interaction?

Difficult to judge without seeing anything

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andrew Marshall
Sent: Tuesday, 20 December 2016 2:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Atom clashes in active site?

Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried the pdb file edit (making the offending atoms of both the ligand and the protein 'B' altconf), but it didn't seem to make any difference to their positions after a single round of refinement..?

The atoms in the active site concern two acetyl groups - one from the substrate, acetyl-CoA, and the other from an acetylated cysteine in the protein - that I believe are poised ready for a condensation reaction. The closest contacts are between S and O(carbonyl) atoms (2.9A) and O and CH3 (3.1A), but going off the density, I think these should be closer (more like 2.8 or 2.7A). It may be that I've trapped another reaction intermediate (which would be cool), but I don't think that fits the density quite as well. Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew Marshall

PhD Candidate

Laboratory of Protein Crystallography