***Please circulate widely***
***Sincere apologies for cross-posting***

Presenting a New Year’s Eve Gift on HAU’s 5th Anniversary:

HAU: JOURNAL OF ETHNOGRAPHIC THEORY
VOLUME 6, ISSUE 3
WINTER 2016

Our 15th Bounty. Our 5th Year.

Access Here: http://www.haujournal.org/index.php/hau/issue/current

With nods to the days of Auld Lang Syne we are delighted to release HAU's 15th issue on this eve of 2017, as well as celebrate HAU's 5th Anniversary! As a testament to the energy and courage the HAU editors and staff have put into the project since 2011, we also delight in letting you know that in 2016 alone we have brought you a total of 1,565 pages of open access anthropology. Enjoy the bounty.

This latest issue begins with Deana Jovanović's response to David Berliner's edited debate on "Anthropology and the study of contradictions" (published in HAU, Volume 6.1, Summer 2016), Rupert Stasch's 2016 Lewis Henry Morgan Lecture on "working misunderstandings" between Korowai people and "first contact" tourists (a transcript, part of our annual HAU-Morgan Lectures initiative in partnership with the University of Rochester), and a set of lectures and responses on "Teleologies of Structuralism," derived from seminars held at the University of Toronto and the University of Chicago on structuralism's first century and beyond. This is followed by two research articles (one on spirit cosmologies in the Brazilian Umbanda religion and one on Fuambai Sia Ahmadu's experience of undergoing a genital cutting initiation ritual among her ancestral community in Sierra Leone, followed by a response from Ahmadu herself). We are also very pleased to feature a special section on "Language and Political Economy, Revisited," edited by Andrew Graan, with six articles and an afterword by Susan Gal, Part II of Paul Kockelman's colloquium on the semiotics of the anthropocene and "comparative grounds," a forum on historical anthropology qua memorial to the late George Stocking, a Book Symposium on Marilyn Strathern's Before and after gender: Sexual mythologies of everyday life (HAU Books, 2016), a second Book Symposium on Richard Werbner's Divination's grasp: African encounters with the almost said (Indiana University Press, 2015), a previously unpublished translation of Julian Pitt-Rivers' lecture on "The paradox of friendship" (forthcoming in From hospitality to grace: A Julian Pitt-Rivers omnibus [HAU Books, 2017]), and, finally, two reprints on fakery, deception, and repertoires of "belief" by Michael Taussig and Jean Pouillon.

With contributions by Deana Jovanović, Rupert Stasch, Alejandro Paz, Philippe Descola, Michael Lambek, Christopher Ball, Danilyn Rutherford, Michael Silverstein, Diana Espírito Santo, Carlos David Londoño Sulkin, Fuambai Sia Ahmadu, Andrew Graan, Francis Cody, Bonnie Urciuoli, Ilana Gershon, Rosemary Coombe, Amahl Bishara, Susan Gal, Paul Kockelman, Richard Handler, Ira Bashkow, Jacqueline Solway, Lee D. Baker, Gregory Schrempp, Marilyn Strathern, Sarah Green, Margaret Jolly, Annemarie Mol, Richard Werbner, Frederick Klaits, David Coplan, Sónia Silva, Julian Pitt-Rivers, Michael Taussig, and Jean Pouillon.

Download. Circulate. Post it. Print it.

The gift remains free.

www.haujournal.org

TRANSCRIPT AND VIDEO OF 2016 LEWIS HENRY MORGAN LECTURES

The HAU-Morgan Lectures Initiative, a HAU partnership with the University of Rochester, is proud to present a transcript and video of the 2016 Lewis Henry Morgan Lectures:

Dramas of Otherness: "First Contact" Tourism in New Guinea
by Rupert Stasch

Watch Video of Lecture: http://haujournal.org/haunet/stasch.php

Read Transcript of Lecture: http://haujournal.org/index.php/hau/article/view/hau6.3.003

Listen to an Interview with Dr. Stasch on NPR: http://wxxinews.org/post/connections-understanding-community-people-chooses-live-without-technology

Anthropologist Rupert Stasch’s research focuses on the treehouse-dwelling Korowai people living on the island of New Guinea in Indonesian Papua. Since 1990, they have been visited by fifty film crews and thousands of tourists, who are motivated by the idea that Korowai are a “Stone Age society” living outside of global markets and history. Drawing on ethnographic research with tourists, guides, reality television crews, and Korowai themselves, Stasch describes the vivid fascination that tourists and Korowai people have with each other’s strange characteristics and analyzes the stereotypes that visitors and Korowai project onto each other. Stasch suggests that some participants in the encounter become more aware of the naturalized assumptions of their own thought, while others assert the unquestionable naturalness of their assumptions even more strongly than before.

HAU’S FAMILY CONTINUES TO GROW: WELCOME HSE (ST. PETERSBURG) AND HUMBOLDT UNIVERSITY (BERLIN)

We would like to take this opportunity to thank and welcome the newest members of our Network of Ethnographic Theory (HAU-N.E.T.): the Department of History at the Higher School of Economics (National Reserach University) in St. Petersburg, Russia (https://spb.hse.ru/en)—our first partnering institution from Eastern Europe—and the Library at Humboldt University of Berlin (https://www.ub.hu-berlin.de/en). We are immensely grateful for our partners' openness, vision, and support. HAU-N.E.T. today consists of 37 very brave institutions that have invested in innovation and the future of open access anthropology.

www.haujournal.org/haunet

More supporters are joining our movement every month. Should your department, institution, or library wish to join our Network and help support Open Access anthropology, please write to us: [log in to unmask]

HAU APP CURRENTLY BEING UPDATED FOR iOS 10

The Apple Store is currently approving our latest updates to the HAU App (iOS 10 version). Due to store closure during the holidays, please check in next week to download updates for your HAU App on iOS 10:

http://www.haujournal.org/index.php/hau/pages/view/hauapp

~The HAU Editorial Team

Download as much as you like.
Circulate.
Print it.
Post it.
Spread the News.
The Gift Remains Free.

HAU: Open Access, Copy Left, Peer Reviewed

www.haujournal.org
www.haubooks.org

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*