Dear group

I am after some advice, please.

Our clinical team went and purchased a number of the JM-103 TcB meters to be used in conjunction with the NICE guidance (NICE clinical guideline 98. Neonatal Jaundice. Issue date: May 2010).

Had they asked, there was a later version, JM-105, which looked more suitable for them or there was the Phillips TcB meter to be considered as well.  However, these meters had been purchased.  When they wanted us to verify the meter, the Pathology consensus was that this meter was not fit for purpose as we could not get good verification results from it.  We could not get a consistent positive or negative bias from these meters and correlation was poor especially with neonates of Afro-Carribean descent.

Now, it emerges that we have done this all wrong and that the verification is not a like-for-like, but as a screen in order to test whether the neonate should in fact have a blood test.  Looking at the data, I would say most of the TcB results we achieved would indicate that the results were comparable enough so that yes a serum bilirubin would have been performed based on the TcB screen if the result was high and no if it was low.

Does anyone at all have any experience of this and whether the verification exercise would be enough to validate this process?

I would be interested to hear your opinions.

Many thanks.

Kind regards

Karen

Karen Stade

POCT Coordinator

Pathology Department

London

E9 6SR

): 020 8510 7891 7: 020 8510 7555

:: [log in to unmask] Or: [log in to unmask]

If you have any POCT queries please contact Edita Bacinskaite ([log in to unmask])

If you receive this email by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software or notify Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust ICT Help Desk on +44 (0) 20 8510 5040 (Option 1). The information contained in this email: * may be subject to public disclosure under the NHS Code of Openness or the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this email (and your reply) cannot be guaranteed. * is intended for the use of the intended addressee or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee only an it may contain privileged or confidential information and/or copyright material. * is not sent through a secure server - Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of outgoing electronic mail. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not represent the view of Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust unless specifically stated.