Dear Jesse,
the phalanx is possibly from a beaver, they look pretty strange and would fit to the context.........
best Susanne

Dr. Susanne C. Münzel
Universität Tübingen
Naturwissenschaftliche Archäologie
- Arbeitsbereich Archäozoologie -
Rümelinstr. 23
D-72070 Tübingen
Tel.: -49(0)7071-29 77144

privat: Mendelssohnstr. 108
70619 Stuttgart
Tel.: 0711/4780683

www.urgeschichte.uni-tuebingen.de
Am 02.11.2016 um 17:05 schrieb Jesse Webb:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Hi all,

I need some help identifying a couple of bones from a shell midden in Calais, Maine near the Canada-U.S.A. border. These are both from a single Aboriginal context radiocarbon dated to just prior to, or during, the earliest European explorations of the area. However, my comparative collection is limited (no sea mammals or small mammal/bird phalanges) and I was hoping for some assistance in identification.

Pictures of the bones can be found at: http://zooarchaeology.ning.com/photo/albums/mystery-bones-2

The first specimen is a a fragment of what I believe to be a seal limb bone. It is broad and relatively dense, without any sign of a medullary cavity. Today, harbour (Phoca vitulina) and grey (Halichoerus grypus) seals are the only pinnipeds found in the vicinity. More northern species, such as hooded and bearded seals, may rarely stray so far south. Walrus were present historically as well. If anyone could tell me what element this is from and indicate species, I would be grateful.

The second is a complete phalanx which has been calcined through exposure to fire. I lack comparative material for phalanges and am unable to identify. It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction on this one.

Thank you,
Jesse

W. Jesse Webb

Graduate Student, M.A.