Walk: Elections and Commons

Date: 22 November 2016

Time: 10.30am - 1pm

Meet at 10.10am for a cup or tea of coffee before departing - Wimbledon Space, Wimbledon College of Art, Merton Hall Road, SW19 3QA.

What do movements for Brexit and Trump say about elections and our common resources – cultural, natural, and on-line? How do representation and leadership change affect us? Please join us for a Walk&Talk around sources of commons and power.

After landmark votes in UK and US histories, for Brexit and Trump, how can we affect the direction we are headed? How do our roots, beliefs, and communications affect our actions, votes and expectations around elections and our communities?

Walk&Talk is free and open to everyone. Comfortable shoes, umbrellas and cameras are recommended. We will walk regardless of the weather.

* * *

About Walk&Talk

Walk&Talk is a generative art practice of walking and talking which my research enquiry at CCW Graduate School focuses on. Walk&Talk’s approach is collaborative and creation is seen as shared. Walk&Talk includes a complex set of discourses in an ephemeral artwork, with the ability to develop ideas and attention through experience. The talking is a particular kind of communication, affected by the rhythmic action of walking, urban environment, and art practice context.

About the exhibition

The walk is part of the What Happens to Us exhibition: “The exhibition will examine democracy as a system of community formation. This exhibitionary programme unfolds at Wimbledon Space in the long shadow of UK’s EU referendum of 27 June, with the suspension of Brazil’s president Dilma Rousseff and the US election on 8 November. The reality of Trump leading the so-called free world has compelled many of us to wonder if we should ‘just say no’ to democracy in its current form. What if the philosopher and diplomat Joseph de Maistre was right: People get the governments they deserve. What does this mean to us in the UK? This is something that What Happens to Us aims to address as a meeting place for a democratically charged community. Together we’ll grapple with the reality that a properly political horizon may be little more than a mirage in our age of post-ideological politics. More importantly, we’ll try and figure out what to do if in fact this is so” (Marsha Bradfield and Amy McDonnell, co-curators).

Wimbledon Space, 15 November - 9 December 2016. Communities don’t just happen, they’re made.

For further information, here’s a link to the walk on the exhibition website: http://www.whathappenstous.org/copy-of-acts-of-searching-closely