SGSAH: November Newsletter

FYI: Update from SGSAH on the SURCAS pilot. Thanks you to those who have given feedback on the administration and timings of this year’s pilot scheme. I will be passing those comments on to Jude in near future.

Siobhan

From: Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities
Sent: 24 November 2016 12:31
To: Convery, Siobhan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: SGSAH: November Newsletter

SGSAH: November Newsletter

View this email in your browser

SGSAH: November Newsletter

Dear Siobhan Convery

We have a packed November edition of the SGSAH newsletter for you including internship/residency opportunities, updates from some of the SGSAH initiatives which finished recently as well as a chance to share your experience of researcher development with Vitae.

SGSAH Welcome Event 2016

We were delighted to formally start the academic year with the SGSAH Welcome Event 2016/17 which was held at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh earlier in November. Over 140 1st year PhD students made the trip from all over Scotland with all of our 16 member HEIs represented by at least one of their new PhD researchers.

The day included talks from SGSAH staff about what SGSAH can do for researchers as well as several talks from researchers who took advantage of SGSAH funding and opportunities through their research.

It was a pleasure to give a platform to these researchers and we hope that hearing from fellow researchers and seeing some of the wonderfully creative outputs from these experiences inspired the new cohort of students we were welcoming.

If you are one of those new researchers then please don't be a stranger. Keep in touch and make the most of the many opportunities we advertise on here, on our website and through our social media which you can find at the bottom of this email.

Hear Here: Training to Develop Community Sound Archives

The Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities (SGSAH) is teaming up with the Connecting Scotland’s Sounds project at the National Library of Scotland to create a new training programme and opportunities to become a Researcher in Residence with a community sound archive in Scotland.  This is a unique and exciting opportunity for a researcher to get involved in a project and gain invaluable experience in sound archiving.

The three tailored training sessions will cover co-creation of research with communities, sound archiving skills and public engagement. They will be held on three separate dates in February in Edinburgh and Glasgow and experts from
Connecting Scotland’s SoundsGlasgow Women’s Library and SCRAN will deliver the training. Successful applicants who have completed the training will have the chance to apply to work with carefully selected sound archives on a project culminating in a public engagement event.

Applications are now open until December 21st.

You can find out more information by visiting the
Hear Here page on the SGSAH website.

SGSAH Blogger Internship Opportunity

SGSAH are offering PhD researchers the chance to get involved with SGSAH directly and run the SGSAH blog through our blogger internship.

The SGSAH Blog gives an insight into the life of a researcher through writing from a resident blogger and guest blogs. Whether this is talking about the ins and outs of research, exciting residency experiences, interesting conferences or just the day-to-day challenges every PhD researcher faces

We are looking for someone to come in and work with us to develop and write the blog for six months. It's a unique opportunity to work with us here at SGSAH whilst also showcasing your writing.

The deadline for applications is Wednesday 30th November with interviews on Wednesday 14th December.

You can find more information and details on how to apply by visiting our website here.

SGSAH Scottish Universities Research Collections Associate Scheme Update

SURCAS is new scheme which supports doctoral researchers in the arts & humanities to undertake short-term research/knowledge exchange projects with collections & to produce a public engagement outcome.  This can take the form of an online exhibition; talks; short films; apps; performances; creative practice; or whatever the researcher agrees with the collections service.  We held the competition earlier this year with our pilot year focus being on archives & special collections.

We are pleased to announce that three projects were successful in our first SURCAS competition.  SURCAS aims to connect doctoral researchers in the arts & humanities with special collections, musuems and archives within Scottish higher education institutions.  Our HEIs have rich resources, many of which are Nationally Recognised, and this new pilot seeks to open up these resources to other researchers and to the wider public.  In this pilot round we are funding doctoral researchers to explore the overlooked music found in margins and illuminations of pre-16th century manuscripts; the archives of the oldest purpose-built public library in Scotland; and the suffrage resources of several Scottish HEIs.

We will use the SURCAS page on the SGSAH website to link to the online resources produced by the SURCAS award holders. We are now reviewing the pilot in consultation with our partners SUSCAG and hope to open a new competition in 2017.

Vitae Doctoral Research Development Survey

Vitae have launched a new survey aiming to capture experiences of researcher development from Arts & Humanities researchers. The survey is part of a CHASE-funded project seeking to develop new resources to support Arts and Humanities doctoral researchers’ professional development.

The survey takes 10 minutes and respondents will be entered into a prize draw for a £50 Amazon voucher. You can learn more about the project and enter the survey by clicking on this link.

Copyright © 2016 Scottish Graduate School for Arts and Humanities, All rights reserved.
The Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities (SGSAH) is the world's first national graduate school in the Arts & Humanities.

Our mailing address is:

Scottish Graduate School for Arts and Humanities

4 Lilybank Gardens

University of Glasgow

Glasgow, G12 8RZ

United Kingdom

Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.