Dear Roni

The self-connections on the A-matrix (in the 1-state deterministic DCM for fMRI) are log-scaling parameters, which scale the prior of -0.5Hz. The idea is that whatever value is tried by the estimation algorithm, the self-connections will always be negative. To convert the self-connections on A to units of Hz, you need to perform the following transform:

a_ii = -0.5 * exp(DCM.Ep.A(i,i))

To get the self-connection in the context of modulation by input k:

a_ii = -0.5 * exp(DCM.Ep.A(i,i) + DCM.Ep.B(i,i,k))

(During model estimation, this is implemented on line 105 of spm_fx_fmri.m within the DCM neuronal model.)

Apologies for any confusion that has caused – I am working on some new documentation to make all this clearer :-)

Best

Peter