Hello SPM experts,

We were reading the PNAS paper by Eklund and generally attempting to
better educate ourselves, and possibly a bit confused by some basic
concepts...

The paper states that it uses a cluster-defining threshold (CDT) and FWE
p-threshold for its analysis. However when we use SPM GUI, we are not
given the option to select both, it is an either/or situation. Either we
use uncorrected p-threshold (default 0.001) OR we use FWE corrected
p-threshold (default 0.05).

As far as we understand, via random field theory, you are required to
select the CDT before you can apply FWE corrections, as it depends on
the Euler characteristic of the CDT thresholded SPM...

Unfortunately the SPM12 manual is not very clear... what happens when I
select FWE correction in SPM? Does it use a default CDT of 0.001 to
calculate the corrected threshold?

I apologize if this is a rather basic question, but looking at Eklund's
code was not immediately helpful either, and I am trying to better wrap
my head around the statistical methods here.

Thanks in advance,
Eli

Houston Methodist. Leading Medicine.

U.S. News & World Report has recognized Houston Methodist as one of the nation’s top 20 hospitals, placing it for the second time on the magazine’s prestigious Honor Roll. It is also designated as a Magnet hospital for excellence in nursing. Visit us at houstonmethodist.org. Follow us at twitter.com/MethodistHosp and www.facebook.com/HoustonMethodist.

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*** This e-mail is the property of Houston Methodist Hospital and/or its relevant affiliates and may contain restricted and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message. Thank you.